Do you or your child participate in competitive sports that involve falls and bodily contact? Did you know that mouthguards help to prevent more than 200,000 sports-related oral injuries? No matter your age, it is important to protect your teeth with a mouth guard that is specifically tailored to you. There are several types of mouth guards, such as custom-made, boil and bite, and stock mouth guards. While boil and bite and stock mouth guards can be inexpensive, compared to custom-made mouth guards, they often don’t offer the full amount of protection your teeth require like custom-made guards.
Dr. Fasano can provide a mouth guard that can be custom fitted to your teeth, providing you with overall comfort and protection. She uses PlaySafe® sports mouth guards which help to provide athletes of all ages the highest level of protection.
Ranging in thickness from 3 mm to 5 mm, PlaySafe® mouthguards come in several different levels of protection, including:
- Junior – Offers one layer of EVA (3 mm) material and is designed specifically for children with mixed dentition.
- Light – Offers two layers of laminated EVA (3 mm) material and is designed for wrestling, volleyball, and mountain biking.
- Light Pro – Offers three layers of EVA (3.5 mm) material and is designed for maximum comfort and protection for ALL sports.
- Medium – Offers two layers of EVA (5 mm) material and is designed for soccer, rugby, basketball, and softball.
- Heavy – Offers two layers of EVA (5 mm) material and is designed for baseball, football, racquetball, and martial arts.
- Heavy Pro – Offers three layers of EVA (5 mm) material and is designed for ice, field and street hockey, kickboxing, and other heavy contact sports.